Paul & Mary Monroe Chair & Distinguished Professor
- 2020: The Sackler Scholar, Sackler Institute of Advanced Studies, Tel Aviv U, Israel
- 2020: Daniel Gorenstein Memorial Award, Rutgers U
- 2018: Lady Davis Visiting Faculty Fellow & Institute Lecturer, Hebrew U, Jerusalem Israel
- 2017: Fellow, US National Academy of Engineering
- 2015: Robert A. Pritzker Distinguished Lecture Award, BMES
- 2015: Fellow, US National Academy of Inventors
- 2013: Top 20 Translational Researchers, Nature Biotechnology
- 2011: Food, Pharmaceutical & Bioengineering Division Award, AIChE
- 2009: Keynote Speaker, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference
- 2006: Fellow, New Jersey High Tech Hall of Fame
- 2006: NIH Career Enhancement Award for Stem Cell Research
- 1993: Founding Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering
- 1992: Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Research, Rutgers U
- 1989: NIH Research Career Development Award
- 1988: NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award
- 1987: Lucille P. Markey Scholar Award in Biomedical Science
The research activities in Professor Yarmush’s laboratory broadly address scientific and engineering aspects of various challenging areas in biotechnology and bioengineering including tissue engineering and regenerative medicine; targeted drug delivery; metabolic engineering; BioMEMS and nanotechnology; and biomedical devices. His lab is currently developing: an automated robotic venipuncture devices with point-of-care capabilities (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdTeGPruFA); new nanoparticle technology to enhance wound healing; microfabricated systems to enhance gene transfer with application to CAR T cells; pulsed electric field techniques to promote scarless wound healing, wound disinfection, skin rejeuvenation, and hair growth; and encapsulated mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and osteoarthritis. Success in tackling these projects is enabled using a diverse set of state-of-the-art techniques that include microfabrication and nanotechnology; physical biochemistry; genomics, proteomics and genetic engineering; cell biology and tissue engineering; advanced microscopic imaging; physiologic instrumentation; animal studies; and numerical simulation. Students and postdocs are sought who can develop as independent investigators quickly.
- Koria P, Yagi H, Megeed Z, Nahmias Y, Sheridan R, Yarmush ML. Self-assembling elastin-growth factor chimeric nanoparticles for the treatment of chronic wounds. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2011; 108: 1034-9 PMCID: PMC3024670.
- Barminko J, Kim JH, Otsuka S, Gray A, Schloss R, Grumet M, Yarmush ML. Encapsulated mesenchymal stromal cells for in vivo transplantation in spinal cord injury. Biotechnol Bioeng, 2011; 108: 2747-58.
- Patel SJ, Milwid JM, King KR, Li M, Bohr S, Parekkadan B, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. Gap junction inhibition prevents drug-induced liver toxicity and fulminant hepatic failure. Nature Biotechnology, 2012; 30: 179-83.
- Lee J, Li M, Milwid J, Dunham J, Vinegoni C, Gorbatov R, Iwamoto Y, Hatfield K, Enger M, Shafiee S, McCormack E, Ebert BL, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Parekkadan B. Implantable microenvironments to attract hematopoietic stem/cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 2012; 109: 19638-43.
- Bohr S, Patel SJ, Shen K, Brines M, Cerami A, Berthiaume F, Yarmush ML. Alternative erythropoietin-mediated signaling prevents secondary microvascular thrombosis and inflammation within cutaneous burns. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2013; 110: 3513-8.
- Saeidi N, Meoli L, Kvas S, Kucharczyk J, Gupta NK, Nestoridi E, Bonab AA, Fischman AJ, Yarmush ML, Stylopoulos N. Reprogramming of intestinal glucose metabolism and glycemic control in rats after gastric bypass. Science, 2013; 341: 406-410.
- Chen A, Nikitczuk K, Nikitczuk J, Maguire T, Yarmush ML. Portable robot for autonomous venipuncture using 3D near infrared image guidance. Technology, 2013; 1: 72-87.
- Berendsen TA, Bruinsma BG, Puts CF, Saeidi N, Usta OB, Uygun BE, Izamis ML, Toner M, Yarmush ML, Uygun K. Supercooling enables long-term transplantation survival following 4 days of liver preservation. Nature Medicine, 2014; 20: 790–793.
- Shen K, Luk S, Hicks DF, Elman JS, Iwamoto Y, Murray R, Pena K, Wang F, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Sgroi D, Parekkadan B. Resolving cancer-stroma interfacial signalling and interventions with micropatterned tumour-stromal assays. Nature Communications 2014; 5: 5662.
- Dollé JP, Morrison B, III, Schloss RS, Yarmush ML, Brain-on-a-chip microsystem for investigating traumatic brain injury. Technology, 2014; 2: 106-117. PMCID: PMC4120884.
- Barminko JA, Nativ NI, Schloss R, Yarmush ML. Fractional factorial design to investigate stromal cell regulation of macrophage plasticity. Biotechnol Bioeng, 2014; 111: 2239-51.
- Ghodbane M, Kulesa A, Yu HH, Maguire TJ, Schloss RR, Ramachandran R, Zahn JD, Yarmush ML. Development of a low volume, highly sensitive micro-immunoassay using computational fluid dynamics driven multi-objective optimization. Microfluidics Nanofluidics, 2015; 18: 199-214.
- Golberg A, Khan S, Belov V, Quinn KP, Albadawi H, Felix Broelsch G, Watkins MT, Georgakoudi I, Papisov M, Mihm MC Jr, Austen WG Jr, Yarmush ML. Skin rejuvenation with non-invasive pulsed electric fields. Nature Sci Rep, 2015; 5: 10187.
- Ghodbane M, Stucky EC, Maguire TJ, Schloss RS, Shreiber DI, Zahn JD, Yarmush ML. Development and validation of a microfluidic immunoassay capable of multiplexing parallel samples in microliter volumes. Lab on a Chip, 2015; 15: 3211-3221.
- Bale SS, Sridharan GV, Golberg I, Prodanov L, McCarty WJ, Usta OB, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. A novel low-volume two-chamber microfabricated platform for evaluating drug metabolism and toxicity. Technology 2015; 3: 155-162.
- Balter M, Chen A, Maguire T, Yarmush ML. The system design and evaluation of a 7-DOF image-guided venipuncture robot. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2015; 31: 1044-1053.
- McCarty W, Usta OB, Yarmush ML. A microfabricated platform for generating physiologically relevant hepatocyte zonation. Nature Scientific Reports 2016; 6: 26868.
- Golberg A, Villiger M, Khan S, Quinn KP, Lo WC, Bouma BE, Mihm MC Jr, Austen WG Jr, Yarmush ML. Preventing Scars after Injury with Partial Irreversible Electroporation. J Invest Dermatol. 2016; 136: 2297-2304.
- Yeboah A, Maguire T, Schloss R, Berthiaume F, Yarmush ML. Stromal cell-derived growth factor-1α-elastin like peptide fusion protein promotes cell migration and revascularization of experimental wounds in diabetic mice. Advances in Wound Care 2017; 6: 10-22.
- Golberg A, Villiger M, Broelsch GF, Quinn KP, Khan S, Watkins MT, Georgakoudi I, Austen WG Jr, Bei M, Bouma BE, Mihm MC Jr, Yarmush ML. Skin regeneration with all accessory organs following ablation with irreversible electroporation. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 2018, 12; 98-113.
- Shrirao AB, Fritz Z, Novik EM, Yarmush GM, Schloss RS, Zahn JD, Yarmush ML. Microfluidic flow cytometry: The role of microfabrication methodologies, performance, and functional specification. Technology. 2018; 6: 1-23.
- Huang H, Yarmush ML, Usta OB. Long-term deep-supercooling of large-volume water and red cell suspensions via surface sealing with immiscible liquids. Nature Communications. 2018; 9:
- Leipheimer JM, Balter ML, Chen AI, Pantin EJ, Davidovich AE, Labazzo KS, Yarmush ML. First-in-human evaluation of a hand-held automated venipuncture device for rapid venous blood draws. Technology. 2019; 7(3-4): 98-107.
- Krzyszczyk P, Acevedo A, Davidoff EJ, Timmins LM, Marrero-Berrios I, Patel M, White C, Lowe C, Sherba JJ, Hartmanshenn C, O'Neill KM, Balter ML, Fritz ZR, Androulakis IP, Schloss RS, Yarmush ML. The growing role of precision and personalized medicine for cancer treatment. Technology 2018; 6: 79-100.
- Rubin AE, Usta OB, Schloss R, Yarmush ML, Golberg A. Selective inactivation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus epidermidis with pulsed electric fields and antibiotics. Adv Wound Care 2019; 8: 136-48.
- Omelchenko A, Shrirao AB, Bhattiprolu AK, Zahn JD, Schloss RS, Dickson S, Meaney DF, Boustany NN, Yarmush ML, Firestein BL. Dynamin and reverse-mode sodium calcium exchanger blockade confers neuroprotection from diffuse axonal injury. Cell Death Dis. 2019; 10: 727.
- de Vries RJ, Tessier SN, Banik PD, Nagpal S, Cronin SEJ, Ozer S, Hafiz EOA, van Gulik TM, Yarmush ML, Markmann JF, Toner M, Yeh H, Uygun K. Supercooling extends preservation time of human livers. Nature Biotechnology 2019; 37: 1131-36.
- Williams LJ, Scendt BJ, Fritz ZR, Attali Y, Lavroff RH, Yarmush ML. A protein interaction free energy model based on amino acid residue contributions: assessment of point mutation stability of T4 lysozyme. Technology 2019; 7: 12-39.
- Bulutoglu B, Devalliere J, Deng SL, Acun A, Kelangi SS, Uygun BE, Yarmush ML. Tissue scaffolds functionalized with therapeutic elastin‐like biopolymer particles. Biotechnol Bioeng 2020; 117:1575–1583.
- de Vries RJ, Tessier SN, Banik PD, Nagpal S, Cronin SEJ, Ozer S, Hafiz EO, van Gulik TM, Yarmush ML, Markmann JF, Yeh H, Uygun K. Sub-zero non frozen preservation of human livers in the supercooled state. Nature Protocols 2020; 15: 224-240.
- Das B, Shrirao, Golberg A, Berthiaume F, Schloss R, Yarmush ML. Differential cell death and regrowth of dermal fibroblasts and keratinocytes after application of pulsed electric fields. Bioelectricity. 2020; 2: 175-185.
- Chen A, Balter M, Maguire TJ, Yarmush ML. Deep learning robotic guidance for autonomous vascular access. Nature Machine Intelligence. 2020; 2: 104–115.
- Huang H, He X, Yarmush ML. Advanced technologies for the preservation of mammalian biospecimens. Nature Biomedical Engineering 2021; 5: 793–804.