Ph.D., Bioengineering (Honors), University of Pennsylvania, 1978
M.S., Biomedical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1974
B.Sc., Physics and EE (Honors), University of Manchester, England, 1972
Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
Fellow, American College of Cardiology
Fellow, American College of Angiology
Fellow, Academy of Medicine of New Jersey
Distinguished Professor, since 1998.
Kuang-piu Chair Professor
Qiushi Chair Professor
IEEE Millennium Medal
International Union of Physiological Sciences Award
First Paper Awards, Bioengineering Conferences
Johnson and Johnson and Becton-Dickinson Industrial Educational Grant Awards
NSF Research Initiation Award
American Heart Association Grant Awards and Heart News
Rutgers Patent/Inventor Awards
Rutgers Published Author
Teacher of the Year Award, Rutgers School of Engineering
Invited Speaker: Santa Fe Institute, UK-USA Technology Watch Seminars, US, Asia, European Universities
Invited Speaker: National and International biomedical engineering and cardiovascular conferences
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Cardiovascular System
- Dynamics Society
Editor-in-chief, Cardiovascular Engineering: An International Journal, Springer
Editor-in-chief, Bioengineering and Biomedical Engineering Book Series, World Scientific
Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
Associate Editor, Comments on Theoretical Biology Journal
Associate Editor, Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conferences
Editorial Board: Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology
Editorial Board: British Journal of Health Informatics and Monitoring
Co-Chair, World Congress for Noninvasive Cardiovascular Dynamics
Chairman, Conference and Program for Northeast Bioengineering Conferences
Chairman, Track and Scientific Sessions on Cardiac Mechanics, Cardiopulmonary Modeling, IEEE-EMBS
Chairman, Cardiovascular Engineering Track, Biomedical Engineering Society (organized 14 sessions)
Chairman, Engineering in Medicine in Biology Chapter, IEEE Princeton-Central Jersey Section
Dissertation Reviewer for foreign universities
Promotion and Tenure evaluation for US and foreign universities
Grant review panels for NIH study sections, NSF, UK and Canada
The Cardiovascular Engineering, Modeling and Devices (CVMD) group collaborates globally with universities, medical centers and industries. Current research interests focus on cardiac and vascular mechanics, hemodynamics of hypertension and heart failure, modeling for diagnostic and therapeutic applications, noninvasive, wearable, mobile and cardiac assist devices, as well as trans-catheter, neuro-engineering and controlled drug delivery technology. Prof. Li has advised more than 95 Ph.D. and M.S. Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering students and mentored over 190 Senior Design students.
Li, J.K-J. Dynamics of the Vascular System – Interaction with the Heart. 2nd edition, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, London, New Jersey, 2018.
Li, J.K-J. Dynamics of the Vascular System. World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, London, Shanghai, 2004.
Li, J.K-J. The Arterial Circulation: Physical Principles and Clinical Applications. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, 2000.
Li, J.K-J. Li (co-editor with G. Drzewiecki). Analysis and Assessment of Cardiovascular Function. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1998.
Li, J.K-J. Comparative Cardiovascular Dynamics of Mammals. CRC Press, Boca Raton. 1996.
Li, J.K-J. Arterial System Dynamics. New York University Press, New York, 1987.
1. Kerkhof, P.L.M., J.K-J. Li, N. Handly. Interpretation of a New Biomarker for the Right Ventricle Introduced to Evaluate the Severity of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Pulmonary Circulation, 2019; https://doi.org/10.1177/2045894019826945
2. Li, J. K-J., M. Kaya, P.L.M. Kerkhof. Quantitative Cardiology and Computer Modeling Analysis of Heart Failure in Systole and in Diastole. Computers in Biology and Medicine 103:252-261, 2018.
3. Patel A.M, J. K-J. Li, Finegan B., McMurtry M.S. Aortic Pressure Estimation using Blind Identification Approach on Single Input Multiple Output Non-linear Wiener systems. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 65:1193-1200, 2018.
4. Kaya M., Balasubramaniana V., Patel A., Ge Y., J. K-J. Li. A Novel Compliance-pressure Loop Approach to Quantify Arterial Compliance in Systole and in Diastole. Computers in Biology and Medicine 99:98-106, 2018.
5. J. K-J. Li. Arterial Wall Properties in Men and Women: Hemodynamic Analysis and Clinical Implications. Advances in Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1065:291-306, 2018.
6. Avolio A.P., KuznetsovaT., Heyndrickx G.R. Kerkhof P.L.M., J. K.-J. Li. Arterial Flow, Pulse Pressure and Pulse Wave Velocity in Men and Women at Various Ages. Advances in Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1065:153-168, 2018.
7. Kaya M., Balasubramaniana V., Ge Y., J. K-J. Li. Energetically Wasteful Wave Reflections due to Impedance Mismatching in Hypertension and Their Reversal with Vasodilator: Time and frequency domain evaluations. Computers in Biology and Medicine 104:117-126, 2018.
8. Li J. K-J. Cardiovascular Allometry: Analysis, Methodology, and Clinical Applications. Advances in Experimental Biology and Medicine, 1065:207-224, 2018.
9. Wang R., Pan Q., Wolfgang M.K. J.K.-J. Li, Priese A.R., Ning G. Modeling of Pulsatile Flow-dependent Nitric Oxide Regulation in a Realistic Microvascular Network. Microvascular Research 113:40-49, 2017.
10. Patel A., J. K-J. Li. Validation of a Novel Nonlinear Black Box Wiener System Model for Arterial Pulse Transmission. Computers in Biology and Medicine 88:11-17, 2017.
11. Atlas G. J. K-J., S. Amin, Hahn R.G. Development and Retrospective Clinical Assessment of a Patient-Specific Closed-Form Integro-Differential Equation Model of Plasma Dilution. Biomedical Engineering and Computational Biology 8:1-20, 2017.
12. Phan, T.S., Li J. K-J., P. Segers, M. Reddy-Koppula, S.R. Akers, S.T. Kuna, T. Gislason, A.I. Pack, and J.A. Chirinos. Aging is Associated With an Earlier Arrival of Reflected Waves Without a Distal
Shift in Reflection Sites. Journal of American Heart Association 2016;5:e003733 doi: 10.1161/JAHA .116.003733
13. Shoucri R., H. Kozman, P. L.M. Kerkhof and J. K-J. Li. Heart Failure: An Exploration of Recent Advances in Research and Treatment Introductory Editorial. Clinical Medicine Insights: Cardiology, Libertas Academica, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.4137/CMC.S40147
14. Pliskow B.L., Li J. K-J., O’Hara D.A., and Kaya M. A Novel Approach to Modeling Acute Normovolemic Hemodilution. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 68:155-164, 2016.
15. Phan, T.S., Li J. K-J., P. Segers, and J.A. Chirinos. Misinterpretation of the Determinants of Elevated Forward Wave Amplitude Inflates the Role of the Proximal Aorta. Journal of American Heart Association 2016;5:e003069 doi: 10.1161/JAHA.115.003069