The research in our lab involves tissue engineering and regenerative medicine to repair or build de novo tissues for treating defects due to injury, disease, aging, or spaceflight. Our approach is through the development of biosynthetic materials, which combine the best aspects of synthetic and biological materials to attain reproducible biomaterials that can drive or direct cell function. Current efforts focus on skin, orthopedic and retinal tissues.
- Ayesha Aijaz, Renea Faulknor, François Berthiaume, Ronke Olabisi. 2015. Hydrogel microencapsulated insulin-secreting cells increase keratinocyte migration, epidermal thickness, collagen fiber density, and wound closure in a diabetic mouse model of wound healing. [In Review]
- Ronke M Olabisi. 2015. Cell microencapsulation with synthetic polymers. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 103(2):846-859
- Corinne Sonnet, C LaShan Simpson, Ronke M Olabisi, Kayleigh Sullivan, ZaWaunyka Lazard, Zbigniew Gugala, John F Peroni, J Michael Weh, Alan R Davis and Jennifer L West. 2013. Rapid healing of femoral defects in rats with low dose sustained BMP2 expression from PEGDA hydrogel microspheres.Journal of Orthopaedic Research 31(10):1597-1604.
- Jennifer Mumaw, Erin T Jordan, Corinne Sonnet, Ronke M Olabisi, Elizabeth A Olmsted-Davis, Alan R Davis, John F Peroni, Jennifer L West, Franklin West and Yangqing Lu. 2012. Rapid heterotrophic ossification with cryopreserved poly (ethylene glycol-) microencapsulated BMP2-expressing MSCs. International journal of biomaterials 2012.
- Ronke Olabisi, "Cell-based therapies for spinal fusion”, in Regenerative Biology of the Spine and Spinal Cord (2012), pp. 148-173.
- ZaWaunyka W Lazard, Michael H Heggeness, John A Hipp, Corinne Sonnet, Angie S Fuentes, Rita P Nistal, Alan R Davis, Ronke M Olabisi, Jennifer L West and Elizabeth A Olmsted‐Davis. 2011. Cell‐based gene therapy for repair of critical size defects in the rat fibula. Journal of cellular biochemistry 112(6):1563-1571.
- Chih‐Wei Hsu, Ronke M Olabisi, Elizabeth A Olmsted‐Davis, Alan R Davis and Jennifer L West. 2011. Cathepsin K‐sensitive poly (ethylene glycol) hydrogels for degradation in response to bone resorption. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 98(1):53-62.
- Ronke M Olabisi, ZaWaunyka Lazard, Michael H Heggeness, Kevin M Moran, John A Hipp, Ashvin K Dewan, Alan R Davis, Jennifer L West and Elizabeth A Olmsted-Davis. 2011. An injectable method for noninvasive spine fusion. The Spine Journal 11(6):545-556.
- Stephanie Ann Koplin, Lillian Su, Shahriar Salamat, Jose Torrealba, James McCarthy, Jean Mitchell, Ronke Olabisi and Kenneth J Noonan. 2011. Distraction osteogenesis-induced muscle fibrosis may not be associated with TGF-β1. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 31(4):413-420.