The research activities in Professor Yarmush’s laboratory broadly address both scientific and engineering aspects of various challenging areas in biotechnology and bioengineering. His lab is currently developing new nanoparticle technology to enhance wound healing and siRNA delivery; microfabricated tissue-on-a-chip-systems for drug and environmental toxin testing; pulsed electric field techniques to promote scarless wound healing and wound disinfection; liver organ re-engineering through recellularization of decellularized scaffolds and revitalization perfusion of marginal organs; supercooling preservation of cells, tissues, and organs; encapsulated mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of spinal cord injury and osteoarthritis; and development of automated robotic venipuncture devices with point-of-care capabilities. Success in tackling these projects is enabled by the use of state-of-the-art techniques that include microfabrication and nanotechnology; physical biochemistry; genomics, proteomics and genetic engineering; cell biology and tissue engineering; advanced microscopic imaging; physiologic instrumentation; animal studies; and numerical simulation.
- Patel S, King KR, Yarmush ML. DNA-triggered innate immune responses are propagated by gap junction communication. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2009; 106: 12867-12872.
- Kidambi S, Yarmush RS, Novik E, Chao P, Yarmush ML, Nahmias Y. Oxygen-mediated enhancement of primary hepatocyte metabolism, functional polarization, gene expression and drug clearance. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2009; 106: 15714-15719.
- Novik E, Maguire TJ, Chao P, Cheng KC, Yarmush ML. A microfluidic hepatic coculture platform for cell-based drug metabolism studies. Biochem Pharmacol, 2010; 79: 1036-1044.
- Uygun BE, Soto-Gutierrez A, Yagi H, Izamis ML, Milwid J, Kobayashi N, Tilles AW, Berthiaume F, Hertl M, Nahmias Y, Yarmush ML, Uygun K. Organ reengineering through development of a transplantable recellularized liver graft using decellularized liver matrix. Nature Medicine, 2010; 16: 814–820.
- Koria P, Yagi H, Megeed Z, Nahmias Y, Sheridan R, Yarmush ML. Self-assembling elastin-growth factor chimeric nanoparticles for the treatment of chronic wounds. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2011; 108: 1034-9 PMCID: PMC3024670.
- Barminko J, Kim JH, Otsuka S, Gray A, Schloss R, Grumet M, Yarmush ML. Encapsulated mesenchymal stromal cells for in vivo transplantation in spinal cord injury. Biotechnol Bioeng, 2011; 108: 2747-58.
- Patel SJ, Milwid JM, King KR, Li M, Bohr S, Parekkadan B, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. Gap junction inhibition prevents drug-induced liver toxicity and fulminant hepatic failure. Nature Biotechnol, 2012; 30: 179-83.
- Lee J, Li M, Milwid J, Dunham J, Vinegoni C, Gorbatov R, Iwamoto Y, Hatfield K, Enger M, Shafiee S, McCormack E, Ebert BL, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Parekkadan B. Implantable microenvironments to attract hematopoietic stem/cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 2012; 109: 19638-43.
- Bohr S, Patel SJ, Shen K, Brines M, Cerami A, Berthiaume F, Yarmush ML. Alternative erythropoietin-mediated signaling prevents secondary microvascular thrombosis and inflammation within cutaneous burns. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2013; 110: 3513-8.
- Konry T, Golberg A, Yarmush ML. Live single cell functional phenotyping in droplet nano-liter reactors. Nature Scientific Reports, 2013; 3: 3179.
- Saeidi N, Meoli L, Kvas S, Kucharczyk J, Gupta NK, Nestoridi E, Bonab AA, Fischman AJ, Yarmush ML, Stylopoulos N. Reprogramming of intestinal glucose metabolism and glycemic control in rats after gastric bypass. Science, 2013; 341: 406-410.
- Yarmush ML, Golberg A, Serša G, Kotnik T, Miklavčič D. Electroporation-based technologies for medicine: principles, applications, and challenges. Annu Rev Biomed Eng, 2014; 16: 295-320.
- McCarty WJ, Usta OB, Luitje M, Bale SS, Bhushan A, Golberg I, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. A novel ultrathin collagen nanolayer assembly for 3-D microtissue engineering: layer-by-layer collagen deposition for long-term stable microfluidic hepatocyte culture. Technology, 2014; 2: 67-74.
- Berendsen TA, Bruinsma BG, Puts CF, Saeidi N, Usta OB, Uygun BE, Izamis ML, Toner M, Yarmush ML, Uygun K. Supercooling enables long-term transplantation survival following 4 days of liver preservation. Nature Medicine, 2014; 20: 790–793.
- Shen K, Luk S, Hicks DF, Elman JS, Iwamoto Y, Murray R, Pena K, Wang F, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Sgroi D, Parekkadan B. Resolving cancer-stroma interfacial signalling and interventions with micropatterned tumour-stromal assays. Nature Communications 2014; 5: 5662.