Paul & Mary Monroe Chair Distinguished Professor
The research activities in Professor Yarmush’s laboratory broadly address scientific and engineering aspects of various challenging areas in biotechnology and bioengineering. His lab is currently developing new nanoparticle technology to enhance wound healing and siRNA delivery; microfabricated tissue-on-a-chip-systems for drug and environmental toxin testing; pulsed electric field techniques to promote scarless wound healing and wound disinfection; liver organ re-engineering through recellularization of decellularized scaffolds and revitalization perfusion of marginal organs; supercooling preservation of cells, tissues, and organs; encapsulated mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, and osteoarthritis; Autoantibody detection in cancer and other chronic diseases, tissue organoids for use in precision medicine, and development of an automated robotic venipuncture devices with point-of-care capabilities. Success in tackling these projects is enabled by the use of state-of-the-art techniques that include microfabrication and nanotechnology; physical biochemistry; genomics, proteomics and genetic engineering; cell biology and tissue engineering; advanced microscopic imaging; physiologic instrumentation; animal studies; and numerical simulation.
- Koria P, Yagi H, Megeed Z, Nahmias Y, Sheridan R, Yarmush ML. Self-assembling elastin-growth factor chimeric nanoparticles for the treatment of chronic wounds. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2011; 108: 1034-9 PMCID: PMC3024670.
- Barminko J, Kim JH, Otsuka S, Gray A, Schloss R, Grumet M, Yarmush ML. Encapsulated mesenchymal stromal cells for in vivo transplantation in spinal cord injury. Biotechnol Bioeng, 2011; 108: 2747-58.
- Patel SJ, Milwid JM, King KR, Li M, Bohr S, Parekkadan B, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. Gap junction inhibition prevents drug-induced liver toxicity and fulminant hepatic failure. Nature Biotechnology, 2012; 30: 179-83.
- Lee J, Li M, Milwid J, Dunham J, Vinegoni C, Gorbatov R, Iwamoto Y, Hatfield K, Enger M, Shafiee S, McCormack E, Ebert BL, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Parekkadan B. Implantable microenvironments to attract hematopoietic stem/cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci, 2012; 109: 19638-43.
- Bohr S, Patel SJ, Shen K, Brines M, Cerami A, Berthiaume F, Yarmush ML. Alternative erythropoietin-mediated signaling prevents secondary microvascular thrombosis and inflammation within cutaneous burns. Proc Nat’l Acad Sci, 2013; 110: 3513-8.
- Saeidi N, Meoli L, Kvas S, Kucharczyk J, Gupta NK, Nestoridi E, Bonab AA, Fischman AJ, Yarmush ML, Stylopoulos N. Reprogramming of intestinal glucose metabolism and glycemic control in rats after gastric bypass. Science, 2013; 341: 406-410.
- Chen A, Nikitczuk K, Nikitczuk J, Maguire T, Yarmush ML. Portable robot for autonomous venipuncture using 3D near infrared image guidance. Technology, 2013; 1: 72-87.
- Yarmush ML, Golberg A, Serša G, Kotnik T, Miklavčič D. Electroporation-based technologies for medicine: principles, applications, and challenges. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 2014; 16: 295-320.
- Berendsen TA, Bruinsma BG, Puts CF, Saeidi N, Usta OB, Uygun BE, Izamis ML, Toner M, Yarmush ML, Uygun K. Supercooling enables long-term transplantation survival following 4 days of liver preservation. Nature Medicine, 2014; 20: 790–793.
- Shen K, Luk S, Hicks DF, Elman JS, Iwamoto Y, Murray R, Pena K, Wang F, Weissleder R, Yarmush ML, Sgroi D, Parekkadan B. Resolving cancer-stroma interfacial signalling and interventions with micropatterned tumour-stromal assays. Nature Communications 2014; 5: 5662.
- Dollé JP, Morrison B, III, Schloss RS, Yarmush ML, Brain-on-a-chip microsystem for investigating traumatic brain injury. Technology, 2014; 2: 106-117. PMCID: PMC4120884.
- Barminko JA, Nativ NI, Schloss R, Yarmush ML. Fractional factorial design to investigate stromal cell regulation of macrophage plasticity. Biotechnol Bioeng, 2014; 111: 2239-51.
- Ghodbane M, Kulesa A, Yu HH, Maguire TJ, Schloss RR, Ramachandran R, Zahn JD, Yarmush ML. Development of a low volume, highly sensitive micro-immunoassay using computational fluid dynamics driven multi-objective optimization. Microfluidics Nanofluidics, 2015; 18: 199-214. PMCID: PMC4327895.
- Golberg A, Khan S, Belov V, Quinn KP, Albadawi H, Felix Broelsch G, Watkins MT, Georgakoudi I, Papisov M, Mihm MC Jr, Austen WG Jr, Yarmush ML. Skin rejuvenation with non-invasive pulsed electric fields. Nature Sci Rep, 2015; 5: 10187 PMCID: PMC4428072.
- Ghodbane M, Stucky EC, Maguire TJ, Schloss RS, Shreiber DI, Zahn JD, Yarmush ML. Development and validation of a microfluidic immunoassay capable of multiplexing parallel samples in microliter volumes. Lab on a Chip, 2015; 15: 3211-3221.
- Bale SS, Sridharan GV, Golberg I, Prodanov L, McCarty WJ, Usta OB, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. A novel low-volume two-chamber microfabricated platform for evaluating drug metabolism and toxicity. Technology 2015; 3: 155-162.
- Balter M, Chen A, Maguire T, Yarmush ML. The system design and evaluation of a 7-DOF image-guided venipuncture robot. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2015; 31: 1044-1053. PMCID: PMC4527661.
- McCarty W, Usta OB, Yarmush ML. A microfabricated platform for generating physiologically-relevant hepatocyte zonation. Nature Scientific Reports 2016; 6: 26868.
- Golberg A, Villiger M, Khan S, Quinn KP, Lo WC, Bouma BE, Mihm MC Jr, Austen WG Jr, Yarmush ML. Preventing Scars after Injury with Partial Irreversible Electroporation. J Invest Dermatol. 2016; Jul 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Yeboah A, Maguire T, Schloss R, Berthiaume F, Yarmush ML. Stromal cell-derived growth factor-1-elastin like peptide fusion protein promotes cell migration and revascularization of experimental wounds in diabetic mice. Advances in Wound Care 2016; [Epub ahead of print]